WHAT YOU CAN DO
There are many things we can all do to help look after the Moray Firth. Here are some ideas:
- " Be careful what you put down the sink, bath and toilet - it may end up in the Moray Firth. Choose 'green' household products and see if you can find out if they are really 'green'!
- " Cut down on the rubbish you produce - it often goes to dumps near the coast and may pollute the sea. Cut up the plastic rings that hold drinks cans together - they can kill wildlife. Buy products with less packaging, reuse and recycle.
- " Look at your local beach. How clean is it? If it is dirty explore ways of cleaning it up and keeping it clean. (Ask an adult for help - some of the rubbish on beaches can be dangerous.)
- " Take a close look at the different activities carried out along your stretch of coast. Think of ways to use your coast wisely.
- " Start a project to find out how other parts of Britain or other countries look after their coasts.
- " Find out more about the Firth's wildlife, and what conservation organisations are doing to protect the marine environment.
- " Join a club or society to find out more about looking after the coast or sea and the wildlife living there. Ask at your local library, or visit these websites:
Friends of the Moray Firth Dolphins (http://www.loupers.co.uk/)
Marine conservation Society (http://www.mcsuk.org/)